Scientific and research activity of the Information Science Department
Section of Algorithmics and Computational Intelligence
Issues complex for modeling in a strict manner, problem complex for solving using analytical methods, non-agorithmic, issues computable, but ineffectively algorithmed require using other than classical computational methods. Among them one can enumerate such approaches as: artificial neural networks, evolutionary algorithms, ant colony algorithms, swarm intelligence systems, swarm systems, modern techniques of statistical learning or various approaches using techniques of regularities detection in data of machine learning.
Section of Computer Biomedical Systems
Analyzing and processing biomedical images used in pathological states identification. This group includes X-ray, ultrasound and thermal imaging as well as microscopic tissues imaging. Moreover, two-dimensional, so called biomedical signals are analyzed and processed. Among them there are ECG and EEG measurements, cardiographical records of heart rate, sounds of pathological speech, etc.
Computer hospital systems enabling improvement in acquisition, transmission and processing of data generated by measuring sensors and medical devices.
Computer technologies in biotechnology – the research group constructs new measuring converters and medical devices in order to perform complex biomedical and biotechnology procedures.
Section of Information Systems
Research focuses on intelligent information systems. It includes both elaborating theoretical bases for functioning of such systems and research devoted to their program realization and implementation in real conditions. Research covers among others, theoretical and practical use of rough sets, optimization of concluding methods in expert systems, knowledge engineering, knowledge bases verification, aspects of machine learning, use of heuristic and evolutionary methods for NP complexities solving. There are also works carried out which are connected with issues of neural networks teaching, detecting sound, processing uncertain knowledge, optimization of search processes in WWW environment.
Section of Computer Systems
Research focuses on biometric systems of individuals identification with use of, among others, signatures or dactyloscopic traces of a finger or rubor labiorum. The works are carried out which are connected with the problems of machine learning, classification.
Research activity of the Institute of Materials Science
- Research on new materials including alloys with shape memory, amorphous and nano-crystalline alloys, intermetallic phases, quasi-crystalline materials and composites;
- Research on phase transitions and real structure and physicochemical properties of metals, ceramics and polymers;
- Research on materials structure and properties taking into account surface research (metallic materials, biomaterials, alloys with shape memory),
- Electrochemical methods of obtaining and testing materials;
- Development and advancement in methods of materials testing , especially high resolution electron microscopy, convergent beam diffraction, X-ray structural analysis taking advantage of Rietyeld method, the methods of atomic and electronic structures as well as the electrochemical methods of researching electrochemical processes and materials properties;
- Computer modeling of materials.
Research activity of the Institute of Technology and Mechatronics
- Advancement in manufacturing technology of nano-structural ferroelectric materials with use of free sintering, sintering under pressure (hot pressing), gradient sintering and the gel-sol method,
- Advancement in technology of ceramic ferroelectric layers obtained with use of gel-sol method,
- Obtaining polymer-ceramic composites for use in electro-acoustic transducers and thermal converters,
- Researching the characteristics of dielectric materials, piezoceramic ones and semiconductors in the function of temperature and frequency of measurement field,
- Researching the change of real structure in electro-ceramics with use of mechanical spectroscopy methods,
- Researching the phenomena accompanying the friction process, especially hydrogen consumption and friction metal plating,
- Shaping the utility properties of the surface layer of construction materials for tribological use,
- Elaborating admixtures to lubricants which excessively decrease wear processes,
- Elaborating admixtures to cooling liquids constituting protective and decorative layer,
- Testing, diagnosing and modernization of steelmaking processes including the issue of micro-supplements and impurities – especially contamination by non-metallic inclusions,
- Quantitative and qualitative testing of non-metallic inclusions morphology in casts and their influence on mechanical properties of the alloy,
- Testing the mechanism of iron alloys breakage during solidification and in service (+50oC-+180oC) and elaborating alloys resistant to breakage,
- Elaborating the technology of high-chromic iron alloys providing grains of tenfold fragmentation,
- Use of stereology and statistical methods for analysis, description and control of alloys structure and properties,
- Stereology testing of metals, alloys and ceramic materials with use of computer image analysis.